Recently I read a really fun and interesting on a new blog I've been reading lately, Glitter Diaries. If you haven't heard of this lovely girl, then go check her out! Last week she answered these questions and I was inspired by her post to take a stab at answering them myself. I hope you enjoy it!
1) Be honest: What time do you wake up and what's a typical breakfast?
Hmm depends. On weekdays I wake up just after 7am which is about as late as possible for me to still get to work on time. I typically will eat a toasted bagel with honey, or kaya (a delicious coconut-based spread from Singapore), with some instant milk tea. Instant milk tea is the shizz because it doesn't give me a stomach ache like coffee does and it's much stronger than plain tea.
|Image: i am a food blog|
On weekends, I typically wake up sometime in the afternoon because I like to stay up really late playing games or watching movies. Then breakfast often becomes a "linner" or lunch/dinner!
2) Do you have a day job? If so, what do you do? How do you find the balance between blogging and work? What are the pros and cons? – If blogging your full-time gig, please explain how that came to be.
I work full-time in the technology industry as a Product Manager. It's the type of job that usually makes people nod but they have no idea what it is. A Product Manager is the person who manages the strategy for a product, like a mobile app or website, and does market research to figure out what features should go into it. So like that change yet again to Facebook's privacy features? Probably a Product Manager had a hand in that!
Working a 9-5 job can be difficult to balance with blogging, but I think the key is to always keep a focus on what made you want to blog in the first place. Blogging for me is a passion that allows me to do one of my favourite things (writing) with one of my biggest interests (fashion and beauty) and so long as I can keep focused on writing what I want to write and when I want to write it, then balance is easy. It's when you put to much pressure on yourself to "get big" and to grow your blog that the fun dies.
3) Where did you grow up (what city/town, do you have siblings, can you share any stories about your upbringing)? And where do you currently reside?
I'm a born and raised West Coast girl and grew up in a city on Vancouver Island. It's a beautiful place to visit and to grow up in, even though I recall feeling very bored most of the time.
Like Kelly of Glitter Diaries, I've always loved writing. I even have a tiny bunny-shaped notebook from when I was 7 and it was my first diary where I would write about my day and make up stories about animals going on grand adventures. I had a very vivid imagination growing up and could conjure up an imaginary world anywhere I went. My favourite game was to pretend I was a teeny tiny person and could hide in blades of grass or live under a rock just like one of my favourite books, The Rats of Nimh.
|I probably fantasized about being a mouse more than is healthy|
4) Outline your average, typical day. Be as transparent as possible.
- 7:00 am: wake-up and hit the snooze button
- 7:30 am: actually get up
- 8:00 am: race through breakfast while checking my email
- 8:20 am: take the bus to work
- 9:00-6:00pm: work
- 6:10 pm: transit back home
- 7:00 pm: walk the dog and workout
- 8:45 pm: eat dinner
- 9:00 pm: relax, read blogs, do wedding related stuff
- 11:30 pm: shower and head to bed
5) What's your dream job/career? How are you working towards that?
Pro blogger? Actually I think it would be amazing to be a movie or restaurant critic. To get paid just to share my opinion seems like a dream job to me!
6) What would be your dream dinner-party guest-list? Explain why you chose each person.
This is a tough one because I don't know whether it includes dead people! I will assume it doesn't just to narrow it down a bit. I'd say my dream dinner party would be cooked and hosted by Gordon Ramsay, and include Steven Colbert for his wit, Chris Evans for me to stare at, and Emma Stone because she seems really awesome to hang out with.
7) What's one thing you'd like to start, one thing you'd like to stop, and one thing you'd like to continue.
I'd like to start travelling more and trying new things. I'd like to stop worrying about what other people think. I'd like to continue maintaining my current workout routine with T25 as it's really helping my body feel healthier and stronger!
8) What's your current obsession?
My current obsession seems to be collecting neutral eye shadow palettes. In fact, I've been thinking of doing a post on it because then that might convince me to stop buying them!
9) Link to 5 websites/blog you can't go a week without?
- Bloglovin because how else will I keep up to date on all my favourite blogs?
- Hootsuite because I'm all about the Twitter
- Facebook because that's where the CBB forums are!
- Jezebel for everything insightful and hilarious
- Gmail because let's face it, checking my email is my other obsession
10) Tag and mention 1 blogger who you'd like to partake in this feature.
I don't want to force anyone to do this, but if you do feel inspired to write your own post, let me know and I will add a link to it at the bottom of this post!