Recently I was watching a youtube video about the differences between western and Asian makeup and really what it boils down to it seems is that western makeup is all about sexy, sculpted glamour, whereas Asian makeup is all about youthful glow. As a western-born-and-raised Asian, my own makeup style sits somewhere in-between these two worlds. I love a bold sexy look, but my everyday look favours more towards the glowing, girlish side. Sure, I went through a brief phase this past winter of wanting matte everything, but with the advent of summer weather, I've done a 180 and am now back to getting my glow on.
To get a proper dewy look, it's really all about the skin and making it appear clear and freshly moisturized. Unfortunately, that just lubed up look also can lead to grease and unwanted shinies. That's where something like L'Occitane's Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist comes in.
The Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist is a subtle hit of sunshine freshness in a bottle. Offering hydration, anti-inflammatory properties and the beautiful soft scent of peony flowers, the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist will keep you and your makeup looking freshly applied.
The primary ingredients in this mist are:
- Glycerin - a humectant (locks and draws moisture into skin)
- Sorbitol - a humectant
- Paenonia lactiflora extract - although not extensively studied, peony flower extract is said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects and can help brighten skin
- Pelargonium graveolens water - made from rose geraniums, this extract is usually used as a fragrance, but which also has humectant and anti-inflammatory properties and can help regulate sebum production
Price & Packaging
A 100 ml bottle retails for $25 from L'Occitane, but for some odd reason, it's $30 at Sephora! Like most L'Occitane products, the packaging of the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist is very pretty and simple, with a deep pink clear bottle topped with a spray dispenser.
I've never really used hydrating mists before so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist. This mist has several functions:
- Hydration - the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist offers very gentle and light hydration. This mist is great to use on hot days after walking out in the sun or after a workout. It instantly cools and moistens skin.
- Toning - I used the Pivoine Sublime Skin Perfecting Mist in place of my usual morning toner and I think it does a decent job of toning my skin before moisturizer and makeup, however I think this actually works better as a later step in my morning routine as opposed to being used as a traditional toner.
- Redness reduction - this mist does a decent job of reducing redness, but I wouldn't say it's a knock-out compared to any other toner.
- Makeup setting - where this mist does rock out is with its makeup setting properties. I love to use this spray as the final step after makeup application. It causes my powder products to melt into my skin and give my skin a final hydrated sheen. I really do feel that this mist helps my makeup last longer throughout the day as I noticed that my blush didn't fade nearly as much after 8 hours wear and my skin didn't seem as shiny either. I'm not sure if this is a real workhorse of a setting spray as I wasn't testing it in any extreme conditions, but in terms of an everyday product, it's great.
Buy - decently priced and provides a refreshing hit of moisture that refines your skin and helps your makeup to last longer.