Launched in 2015 by NYC stylist Jeff Chastain, PARLOR is a new haircare line predicated on simplifying your hair routine. Having heard the gripes of his clients for years, Chastain realized that what women needed wasn't more wonder solutions - they just needed a few key products that worked. Quality over quantity right? So he set out to create just that and so PARLOR was born.
Each PARLOR product is designed to provide multiple benefits to your hair for maximum time-savings. Recently I was sent a couple of products from PARLOR to try: the Moisturizing & Repairing Shampoo and the Moisturizing & Repairing Conditioner.
PARLOR Moisturizing & Repairing Shampoo
Price: $22 for 237 ml
What it is: a triple-action shampoo that moisturizes, cleanses and repairs damaged hair.
What's in it:
- Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate - a surfactant (cleanser)
- Cocamidopropyl betaine - a surfactant that has anti-static properties and is known to be a mild cleanser. There is a low risk of skin irritation though.
- Decyl glucoside - derived from sugar, this gentle surfactant is commonly used in baby products and also moisturizes skin
- Disodium laureth sulfosuccinate - another surfactant that specializes in removing grease from hair
My take: The first thing I noticed about this shampoo is its smell, which is a mix of peaches, fresh cut grass and white woods that smells just lovely and refreshing. The shampoo itself is thick and foams up nicely, though I find that if my hair is pretty greasy and has some build-up, that I do need to wash twice to get it all out. This shampoo is designed to be color safe and I think that claim is true since its main surfactants are pretty gentle. After having tested out a couple of shampoos and hair treatments that just stripped my hair of moisture and smoothness, the Moisturizing & Repairing Shampoo was just what I needed. This shampoo has literally restored my hair to its previous condition. My hair feels soft and shiny and I can run my fingers through my hair without catching on any knots now, which I haven't been able to for months!
Final Verdict: Buy
PARLOR Moisturizing & Repairing Conditioner
Price: $22 for 237 ml
What it is: a light-weight, yet deeply moisturizing conditioner.
What's in it:
- Cetearyl alcohol - an emulsifier, thickener and surfactant.
- Behentrimonium chloride - provides moisture with smoothing properties. Take care not to get this into eyes as higher concentrations of this ingredient could be harmful. I'm not sure what exact percentage this conditioner contains, but better safe than sorry!
- Cetyl alcohol - an emollient (helps lock in moisture) and emulsifier that helps condition the hair
- Dimethicone - a silicon that probably helps smooth hair and lock in moisture
Overall I wasn't blown away by this conditioner, but it did fulfill its promise of leaving my hair soft and tangle-free. You also don't need to use much conditioner as it spreads really easily. However, if your hair is particularly parched, then this conditioner won't cut it.
Final Verdict: Ditch
Overall, I thought both the Moisturizing & Repairing Shampoo and the Moisturizing & Repairing Conditioner worked pretty well for me. The shampoo especially was a win as it really cleanses well while not irritating my scalp. I would definitely recommend trying these out if you're looking for a rebalancing line of products.
Both these and other PARLOR products are available exclusively online via BirchBox.
PS. 2 more sleeps till Christmas!