For years, I've been a huge fan of CLEAN perfumes. Unlike a lot of fragrance lines, I know I can always count on CLEAN fragrances to be fresh and never overpowering. Although I'm not a fan of all their scents, I am the happy owner of quite a few, so you can imagine how excited I was when I first heard that CLEAN was coming out with a whole new line of upscale perfumes.
The CLEAN Reserve collection is a huge departure from CLEAN's regular aesthetic. Designed for the eco-conscious, norm-core crowd, the look and formulations of the Reserve scents are decidedly grownup - it's kinda like drinking Starbucks frapps all your life and then suddenly discovering drip brew coffee!
The CLEAN Reserve collection consists of nine new fragrances:
- Blonde Rose, a subtle light rose inspired by a warm rose petal bath with notes of rose, peony and jasmine
- Sueded Oud, a dynamic blend of incense, birchwood, white magnolia and black amber
- Skin, a revamp of the pre-existing Skin that is inspired by an intimate embrace and has notes of musk, tonka and praline
- Smoked Vetiver, a smoky unisex blend of bamboo, bergamot and vetiver
- Rain (my fave CLEAN fragrance!) is reimagined with bergamot and patchouli for a refreshing fruity floral
- Warm Cotton, another revamp, is a sophisticated evolution of the original fan favourite with notes of mint, pepper and incense
- Terra Woods, a unique combination of zests, woods and creams to create an original unisex scent ideal for blending
- Velvet Flora, an intoxicating floral mix of bergamot, jasmine and saffron
- Amber Saffron, a dichotomy of seductive saffron and light lily
I previously smelled all of the scents at my local Sephora, with the standouts for me definitely being Terra Woods, Amber Saffron and Smoked Vetiver. The revamps of Warm Cotton, Rain and Skin were too similar to their originals to be worth investing in and I think if you are going to splurge on that $125 price tag, then you should choose the most complex and interesting ones to try.
In the end, I chose to try Amber Saffron as I was looking for a good base note to blend with my lighter florals and also to see how this compared to my beloved Aerin Amber Musk.
Although pricey, I absolutely think it's worth it as the Reserve bottles are just stunning to look at. It's obvious that CLEAN put a lot of time and care into the new packaging. Like the old bottles, the Reserve bottles are very minimalistic and clean, but Reserve takes it to another level with their "farm to bottle" approach to packaging. The bottle is 100% recyclable and the wooden cap is made from sustainably managed wood from Spain. Besides the packaging, many of the ingredients in the Reserve line are ECOCERT certified, and produced in a factory using 100% solar energy! Even the box it comes in is made of biodegradable corn. I absolutely applaud CLEAN for their dedication and how they've managed to be so successful at pairing style and sustainability.
As for the scent itself, Amber Saffron is made up of:
- Top notes: Bergamot, artemesia and mandarin orange
- Mid notes: Rose, lily and raspberry
- Base notes: Musk, saffron and amber
Despite the name and notes, I actually found Amber Saffron to be light and wearable, almost perhaps to its own detriment. Compared to the Aerin Amber Musk or the L'Occitane Arlesienne, Amber Saffron has a very subtle spiciness and warmth to it. On me, I actually felt like the floral notes came out more and the hint of raspberry just made it even fresher. If you're just getting into headier fragrances as I am, then this is a great introduction into the "darker side" of fragrances.
Amber Saffron is very easy to wear and it's an amber you can actually spray on liberally without worrying about gagging your coworkers. Wear time is pretty decent too since it's an eau de parfum, but I think if you wanted this to last all day and night, then you'd need to respray before leaving the office.
Overall I am super happy with Amber Saffron. The bottle is huge, I love the scent and I can't wait to try more of this line!
Have you tried any CLEAN fragrances before?
* Please note that unlike my other reviews, I will not put a Final Verdict on this product. Fragrances are highly personal, more so than other beauty products, and therefore definitely take these thoughts as reflecting my own experience only. Always try out samples of perfumes before purchasing as different scents will wear differently on each person.